Standard Notes builds an end-to-end encrypted note-taking application for digitalists and professionals. We solve challenging problems at the intersection of privacy, security, and productivity, and are looking for talented software engineers with a like-minded passion towards our mission.
We're seeking an experienced Product Manager & Engineer. Their role will be to own and construct our roadmap, devise and architect solutions on how to get there, direct a team of other engineers and team members to help reach those goals, all while relying on their own engineering prowess to take on custom projects and guide other team members via code reviews and project architectural best practices.
Who we are
Standard Notes was founded in 2016 amidst turbulent times for software companies, both on the front of sustainability, and privacy. We're a different kind of company founded on two basic principles:
- User data is a liability, not an asset.
- Software longevity and stability is of paramount significance, and can be achieved only through the alignment of user and company interests and principles.
We build an end-to-end encrypted note-taking application beloved and used by many, and available on every major platform. We've built this through a sustainable business model powered directly by user subscriptions to our service.
Design your own schedule
We use a unique employment framework which allows you to take time off whenever you want, without seeking permission. You can design your schedule such that you work only 4 days a week, taking every Friday off. Or maybe some weeks you work 3 days, others you work 4 days, and others you work 5 days. Or maybe you want to work 5 days per week but only 4 hours each day. That's totally up to you, and possible with our framework. Our team loves the freedom it gives them to live and work on their own terms.
Completely async work culture
We don't do daily standups. No weekly video calls or phone calls. No managerial check-ins. In fact, we don't even use Slack, so no green-bubble indicator to micro-oppress and monitor you. We use Twist to communicate and stay in touch, which is an email/chat/knowledge-base hybrid. It makes remote work much more enjoyable, and less invasive on your personal life.
What the ideal candidate looks like:
- Designs systems and architectures, and isn't intimated by difficult or complex problems.
- Can learn complex topics in short periods of time.
- Is a good writer. You must show that you’re able to write not just clean code, but can write user-friendly documentation that simplifies complex topics. A good writer is also able to effectively communicate their plans and blueprints, ideas and strategies, and issues and concerns, using a to-the-point, non-indulgent style of writing that can be a model for other team members.
You should know about, or be willing to learn, the principles of:
How to apply
If the above description sounds like you, and you're eager to work with us on the future of privacy and encryption, send us an email with a small intro, resume, any relevant online links, and your salary requirements.