Are you excited by the idea of translating a product vision that can transform lives into elegant, well-architected code?
Do you have the rare mix of extraordinary attention to detail, plus the ability to think holistically about a problem, and make business-informed technical decisions?
As the Director of Engineering at Carb Manager, you'll be leading a fully remote team of seven highly skilled full-stack and mobile developers, all on a mission to bring the best health management tools to our growing and diverse userbase.
For this role, we're seeking someone who can serve as a software architect; a liason between the development team and our other orgs; and a mentor and coach to our developers. And we're also looking for someone who can code! We're a tech-driven company, and even our CEO regularly ships code.
About Carb Manager
Carb Manager is the most popular health & fitness app for people tracking macronutrients and following a low-carb or ketogenic diet. Since 2010, we've helped millions of users lose weight, improve their metabolic health, and become more mindful of what they're eating. Unlike most diet tracking apps, we focus on the balance of macros, not just calories in, calories out!
Our tech stack includes VueJS, Firebase/Firestore, Netlify, GCP, Jest. We communicate on Slack, Clubhouse, Zoom, and all the ususal remote tools.
About This Role
The Director of Engineering is responsible for guiding the architecture of our web and mobile applications, including when shipping new code and while refactoring. This person will also be the lead of the development team, and will provide code reviews, mentorship, and everyday and more formal feedback to our developers.
On a day-to-day level, this role involves:
- Working alongside the product manager and product designer to translate designs and feature specs into actionable, clearly defined technical specs.
- Identifying areas in the codebase in need of refactoring and guide developers in improving code quality, applying the appropriate design patterns.
- Maintaining code standards, including any necessary documentation.
- Participating in code review of every PR submitted.
- Leading our stand-up meetings.
- Providing ongoing and periodic mentoring of the developers, including weekly 1:1 calls and quarterly performance check-ins.
- Assigingn tasks for each iteration/sprint, and work with the product manager to break down assignments, answer questions, and provide ongoing guidance.
- Being the technical point of contact for questions from other groups, like operations and marketing.
- Meeting regularly with senior leadership to steer overarching technical and product strategy.
- Shipping code!
What We're Looking For
A successful candidate will have at least 10 years of total development experience, and at least 5 years of experience in a lead role, preferably in an agile environment. B.S. and/or M.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or another technical field is highly desirable.
Working At Carb Manager
Carb Manager is fully remote company with team members all over the world. We're a fun, high-performing team, with a shared passion for enabling healthy transformations.
- Work from anywhere
- Highly competitive salary
- Medical and dental insurance
- 401(k) option
- 12 paid holidays
- A generous vacation package (plus personal days as needed)
- Tech budget to purchase the equipment you need
- We plan to add yearly in-person gatherings once that becomes possible again. Our next destination is tentatively Lisbon!
How do you apply?
Send an email with your cover letter and resume to us. Please tell us a bit why this particular job and company interests you.