If you're passionate about making software 10x better and believe you can make a significant impact, we'd love to hear from you.
Gruntwork is a Human-Friendly Company.
We aim to build a company:
- Where you get to take on big challenges, but the hours are reasonable.
- Where everyone is treated fairly and with respect, but where disagreement is welcome.
- Where the team takes great pride in our craft, but also gets things done.
- Where we are all focused on advancing the company's mission, but get plenty of time off.
- That is welcoming, safe, and inclusive for people of all cultures, genders, and races.
In short, we want to work on interesting problems, with interesting people, while leading interesting lives.
How we work
Gruntwork is a fully distributed company spread across 3 continents. Being distributed has many advantages:
- You can work wherever you want: at home, from a coffee shop, a library, a co-working space, an airplane, a boat, or pretty much anywhere else with an Internet connection.
- You can work whenever you want: other than ~2 live meetings per week, your hours are completely up to you. This allows you to plan your work around your life rather than the other way around.
- We can hire the best people from anywhere in the world, rather than hiring just the candidates who happen to be within a few miles of some office.
What You'll Work On
- Infrastructure as Code Library: create reusable infrastructure modules for a variety of infrastructure (e.g., Kubernetes, ELK, Consul, Vault, Kafka, InfluxDB, etc), using a variety of tools (e.g., Terraform, Go, Python, Bash, Docker, Packer, etc), across many clouds (e.g., AWS, GCP, and Azure).
- Gruntwork Launch: build a fundamentally better DevOps experience. Launch consists of a REST API (Node.js, TypeScript), a web-based single-page app (React, TypeScript, SASS), and a CLI tool (Go).
- Open Source: contribute to our open source projects, including our open source modules, Terragrunt, Terratest, cloud-nuke, bash-commons, and more.
- And a little bit of everything else. Gruntwork is a small, distributed, self-funded, profitable startup, so things are changing all the time, and we all wear many hats. You should expect to write plenty of code, but, depending on your interests, there will also be ample opportunity to write blog posts, give talks, contribute to open source, go to conferences, talk with customers, do sales calls, think through financial questions, interview candidates, mentor new hires, design products, come up with marketing ideas, discuss strategy, consider legal questions, and all the other tasks that are part of working at a small company.
Your Ideal Background
- You know how to write code across the stack ("Dev").
- You have experience running production software ("Ops").
- You have a strong background in software engineering (or are working hard on it!).
- Bonus points for a sense of humor, empathy, and curiosity.
- Note that we're less concerned with prior experience than we are with curiosity about all areas of the stack and demonstrated ability to learn quickly and go deep when necessary.
If the above describes you, please email us.
++Senior Software Engineer++
Just like our Software Engineer position, but with the added expectation that you take more ownership, get (complex) things done, and communicate even more effectively.
++Principal Software Engineer++
Just like our Senior Software Engineer position, but with the added expectation that you can take full ownership of a complex project, get (highly complex) things done, and communicate even more effectively.