About the role:
We are looking for a hands-on Senior Designer who is excited about building beautiful, inspiring, and easy-to-use applications. We want to create a culture of great design at Frenlo, and you'll be instrumental in establishing our voice and direction. You will be creating new ways for users to interact with our app to create a joyful and inclusive experience.
We are pre-release but have secured seed funding that will help us through our early growth. We want to build a platform accountable to our users by taking on minimal funding and using subscriptions as our main revenue stream.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Being the visual and UX design expert
- Coming up with unique design elements for our native iOS app
- Working through complex design problems – we won't always be able to use an off-the-shelf-solution
- Working through feedback from users and the Frenlo team into multiple design iterations to get it just right
- Collaborating with a small, autonomous, and cross-functional team
- Contributing to product vision and strategy
- Helping to design an app that is accessible and intuitive
- Helping to build a team that is diverse and inclusive and helping define a culture that is equitable and inclusive
Here's what you need to be successful:
- Focus on designing beautiful, simple user experiences with high-fidelity visual design, feel, and typography
- Desire to try unique and bold interactions that prioritize ease-of-use for a diverse user base
- Comfort in brainstorming and testing big, novel ideas
- Excitement for interfaces that are pleasant to use
- Love for community and interpersonal relationships
- Ability to learn, grow, and teach
Here's some skills that would be nice to have:
- The ability to jump into the code and tweak the design to be just right
- Deep knowledge of iOS and Apple design principles and technologies, and ideas for how to make a unique app that feels at home on iOS
Frenlo is on a mission to improve the health, thoughtfulness, and lighheartedness of human communication. We make a platform for communication with close friends, where you can post just once a day.
We started Frenlo because we wanted a better way to stay connected with the people we care about and a better way to nourish new relationships. We believe the current social platforms are not incentivized to prioritize these relationships because they are built for advertisers. Frenlo is subscription-based, so we can and will always prioritize our end users.
We are an early-stage company and we want to grow our team slowly and intentionally. We believe that the days of "move fast, break things" are gone but the harm is lasting, and we actively work to undo this harm as individuals and as a company.
We prioritize the safety and privacy of our community (customers and team members alike) and build our product and team with equity at the forefront.
- Compassionate communication is key.
- We have to be thoughtful, intentional, open, and empathetic with each other. It's the only way to build a great team and a great product.
- Love our customers.
- Our customers are our friends, our best friends, our family members, and the people who matter the most to us. It's everyone's job at Frenlo to pay attention to their needs so we can build a product that truly resonates.
- Work is work, life is life.
- Everyone works differently. Some of us are morning people, some of us are night owls. What matters is that everyone is able to do what's right so they are at their best. We look at your output, not how long you are at your desk. That also means taking meaningful time off, not being pestered when you're out of the office, and having time to yourself when you need it.
We want you to know:
You can be a great candidate even if you don’t fit everything we’ve described above. You can also have important skills that we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, please don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Frenlo PBC is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we understand this commitment is core to who we are as a company and to our success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women and other gender minorities, people of color, LGBTQIA people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Apply by sending an email with your portfolio.