We are Swaze. See our video (Tik Tok link: https://vm.tiktok.com/KwW8Pd/) in which Karthik explains this role.
Our mission is to enable online business building through well designed mobile-first tools.
Swaze is the simplest way to design, create and launch an online store for your brand - entirely from your mobile device, with NO upfront cost.
We're based in Bangalore, India, with plans to expand to other regions in South and South East soon.
We started Swaze by noticing how painful it is to build and scale an online business with just a smartphone. Most available services such as Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly have clunky mobile experiences with limited functionality, and prohibitive business models (i.e. charging a huge fee up front just to have a website up and running).
We aim to bring powerful business creating tools to the masses with world-class product design, quality educational content and an unwavering obsession to make it easier to start businesses no matter where you are, entirely on mobile.
Our app lets anyone design, manage and scale an online storefront for their business in minutes to creatively express their brand and accept orders from anywhere on the planet.
About the role:
We’re looking for our first engineering hire to join our founding team to take significant ownership of our Android codebase and help shape an engineering culture that enables fast experimentation and iteration to serve the next generation of mobile-only entrepreneurs.
You will focus on creating the world's most simple and powerful mobile app to design, launch and manage an online store for creators.
Requirements: - Compassionate + interest in enabling mobile-only business builders. - Strong Android chops. We work in Kotlin. Firebase + Cloud functions for the back-end.
Highly competitive pay.
- Android (Kotlin)
- React (online store websites that are generated from the app.)
- Firebase services for database, user management, notifications
- Cloud functions to act as our server.
- Stripe & Razorpay for payments
You will own and shape significant parts of our codebase. Iterating quickly and running many experiments will be the hallmarks of our execution.
You may be a good fit if:
- You understand how people feel and are kind to others. This doesn't mean you don't give direct, constructive feedback, but you're great at delivering this along with an undercurrent of compassion. Treating each other respectfully is a top priority at Swaze.
- You want to push yourself to be great. No one's cracked building an outstanding online store builder within an app, so you won't have many references to build off of. Cracking this will require a great deal of creativity and strong nerves as we experiment with various design directions and likely see many attempts fail.
- You thrive in ambiguous situations and can effectively experiment knowing that most of your experiments will fail.
- You can put yourself in our customers' shoes and really understand their needs and how we could potentially serve them.
- You have excellent communication skills: written and verbal.
- You can turn incomplete, conflicting, or ambiguous inputs into solid action plans.
- You share our mission to enable business building around the world. You're likely on your path to starting your own business in the future, and you view your experience at Swaze as a stepping stone to learn as much as you can, as quickly as possible.
- You take complete ownership of your tasks and responsibilities. You don't wait around to be told what to do, rather you take initiative, come up with plans and present your ideas and push for progress.
- You have a strong bias towards action: you love to learn by doing.
- You know how to balance data and intuition. You obsess about measuring the output of your work in terms of how it's benefitted our customers, at the same time, you don't let data constrict your creativity and box you into a single way of approaching problems.
What's it like to work at Swaze?
Starting a business is tough, and you're joining us at the earliest phase of our company. This will be tough. Many of the challenges we will face will be ambiguous with no straightforward answers.
You will be challenged to do your best work, alongside highly motivated team members.
We take immense joy in enabling creators to start and scale their businesses and hope to work with you to enable many, many more creators across the world by radically simplifying what it takes to start and grow an online business.
Apply by: emailing us with a blurb about why you think you’d be a fit for this role, with details of your most impressive work. Resume is optional.
Our interview process
- Phone screen (30 minutes) where we get to know each other better.
- Technical screen 1 (60 minutes): Android project that we will pair program. Our motivation is to gauge how well you understand Android development, core programming competency + your ability to communicate and work with others.
- Technical screen 2 (90 minutes): A longer project with the same goals as Technical screen 1.
Where you went to school / college, your gpa, etc. will not be used in any way to process your application or make a hiring decision... so feel free to leave those out of your resume if you do choose to send one in.
Happy to answer any questions / just chat :). We’re based in Bangalore, yet open to remote team members within a 3 hour time zone difference (=> Asia and a few regions adjacent).
Thanks! We’re super excited to hear from you :)